[SBE] A/C 3phase vs single phase

Dan Rapak DanRapak at verizon.net
Thu Jun 11 11:54:00 EDT 2009

Mike is correct about those current spikes.

When ABC Sports was still around we used single-phase air conditioning systems in our mobile units out of necessity. You occasionally ran into a location where three-phase was not available, but more importantly, if you lost a phase you still needed to keep on running. There are some locations around the country where loss of a phase, whether locally within a stadium or from the utility itself is not all that rare an occurrence. Our mobile units could readily operate on three-phase or single phase power.

To get around the problem of spikes and surges, we operated the air conditioning systems as "hot-gas bypass" systems. The compressors run all the time and the gas is shunted when cooling is not needed. Not very efficient, but it kept the network broadcasts on the air.

Dan Rapak