[SBE] analog shut-off day

Spain Robert rspain at cwc.edu
Mon Jun 15 15:43:48 EDT 2009

A big problem with low band DTV is the high noise floor - and 8 vsb decoders can't deal with that. Ignition noise, arcing neon lights, cracked power line insulators, lightning are much worse at low band than high band or UHF. Problem #2 is rabbit ears - at best, they are a half wave dipole, with 0 db front to back ratio, picking up reflection from mirrors, refrigerators, etc. At worst, they are pushed all the way in, and resonant on channel 13; oriented the direction the tv sits, not towards the TV station tx.
The rural viewers in your grade B contour don't use rabbit ears - they use real antennas, that have front to back ratios, and minimum multipath.
In Casper, we had to use a channel 47 DTV translator to feed the DISH network receive point, because the receive POP was 1000' from a substation. The noise floor from that substation is so high, the s/n from our VHF DTV tx was only 16 db. The s/n from the channel 47 (10 watts into a PR-450) was 30 db.
We have been fighting with the utility for years, and they won't do anything.

Bob Spain
Wyoming PBS