[SBE] TV Audio on HD-3

chscherer at everestkc.net chscherer at everestkc.net
Tue Jun 16 12:02:27 EDT 2009

Determining that NWR is available as an HD3 option is one step, and the engineer can facilitate that. In this case, the SBE can facilitate it by possibly securing a blanket clearance. Others at a station can determine how to make it profitable (if it needs to be). I agree with Steve that having more than one station in a market providing the service is a waste of a channel, but there's no real harm if it happens.

Who needs to administrate who transmits NWR? No one administrates main-channel formats? If another stations wants to provide the community service of retransmitting NWR, let it. The station manager can make that call. Identify another program source to provide a similar public service or create a new revenue stream. Engineering is a part of the staiton operation, and it's wise to be concerned with and aware of the bottom line, but other departments decide the programming. Engineering makes it so.

>From "Fluker, Steve (CXR-Orlando)" <Steve.Fluker at CoxRadio.com>

All very valid points on making a profit, although I don’t see an issue if more than one station wants to put NOAA on their HD multicast channels. Here in Orlando we have three main channels running Hip Hop, and we even have two different HD2 channels running Gospel music. Having NOAA on two HD3 channels is a waste of a channel quite frankly, but no harm is done as far as I can see.

From: sbe-bounces at sbe.org [mailto:sbe-bounces at sbe.org] On Behalf Of k7cr
I completely agree that putting NOAA on an HD3 is a good idea. However, in this day, managers are going to want to know how to make a profit with it....and you can't blame them. The other issue is management as to who. More than one NWS/HD3 per market would not be wise...and who makes that call? What do you do if a Class A FM puts it on and then a Class C, in the same market, wants to do it too?.

Who is going to administrate this?