[SBE] toxic chemical reminiscences

A9xw at cs.com A9xw at cs.com
Thu Aug 20 12:48:18 EDT 2009

Yeah, we had a nanny state OSHA visit at WSNS and got dinged for not having
a MSDS for solder. in LA we had to have dust capture for saws and all kinds
of nanny state junk. Had to toss some nice bench tools because they
weren't OSHA compliant, no guards and such. At one site we couldn't pass
electrical inspection because the audio video cables were not in conduit and had to
rewire with plenum rated cable even though there was no plenum. Had one
inspector actually measure the voltage on the audio and video cables and she
complained that the speaker wires weren't in conduit because when the amp was
turned up there was over a volt and it was considered a fire hazard. I asked
her if her home stereo speaker wires were in conduit and she said it wasn't
required in residential buildings but was in commercial. So some handy BX and
J boxes and she was happy. Reminds me of the cartoon of a safety net around
the rodeo bull.

Henry