[SBE] Question about Radio Station ID for HD services --

Mike Langner mlangner at swcp.com
Tue Sep 8 19:34:57 EDT 2009

Hello everyone !

I'm writing an article for a broadcast technical web site about station
identifications.

Sounds simple and boring.

Turns out it's not simple!

And it's sure not boring!!

Could I please learn how/if anyone's identifying their HD signals?

FCC 73.1201 (2) (b) says in part. . .

"A radio station operating in DAB hybrid mode or extended hybrid mode
shall identify its digital signal, including any free multicast audio
programming streams, in a manner that appropriately alerts its audience
to the fact that it is listening to a digital audio broadcast. No other
insertion between the station's call letters and the community or
communities specified in its license is permissible."

I'd love to incorporate, anonymously if you like, examples of "what's
happening" across the country.

Thanks !

Mike Langner, CPBE
Albuquerque, NM