[SBE] FCC R & R 73.318: FM Blanketing Interference

Ben Weiss bhweiss at comcast.net
Mon Sep 21 02:28:59 EDT 2009

Years ago, when we built a four FM station tower facility in Kansas City,
there was great concern about the blanketing issue. With the FCC district
office literally less than two miles away from and in full view of the site
it was decided to ask the FCC to help us solve any blanketing issues that
might occur. It was going to be a cooperative effort between the four
stations involved. So we set up a special phone line with an answering
machine on it to which the FCC could refer any calls they might receive from
the public reporting problems. The message on the machine did not refer to
any of the four stations specifically. Additionally, the services of a
local TV repair shop were engaged to handle the interference complaints. It
didn't matter which station might be the offending signal as they were all
solved by the single service shop. Fortunately the bulk of homes in the
area were served by cable and few problems were reported over the span of
time that the FCC blanketing rule applied.

Ben

_____