[SBE] Fwd: FW: LP1 KWVE fined for EAS error

Fluker, Steve (CXR-Orlando) Steve.Fluker at CoxRadio.com
Mon Sep 21 07:42:39 EDT 2009

The problem that Warren stated about a SAGE unit is real. It's caused
by a failing "wall-wart" power supply. When an alert is sending and the
printer starts up, that extra load on the supply causes the SAGE to shut
down and reboot. The alert begins, but then there is no EOM.
Apparently that could warrant a $ 5,000 fine now too? In this day and
age where we have unattended operation, an LP station may just be
relaying an emergency message from NOAA, or the State and not even know
the unit failed until the engineer inspects the print-out or another
station calls to let them know.

I agree that this fine is setting the stage for stations who volunteered
to be LP stations to pull out, or to limit relays to RMT or EAN messages
only. This does not serve the public, but does protect the station
owner. It's hard enough to find stations willing to volunteer. I
really hope this decision can be reversed. The station in our area that
is our main LP1 has taken EAS serious and does an incredible job with
it. He is willing to send all emergency messages and not just the major
events or required relays. I'm sure he's concerned and I would hate to
see him pull out. I have the second LP1 and one of the LP2's here in my
cluster of radio stations.

Steve

Steve Fluker

Director of Engineering