[SBE] FCC R & R 73.318: FM Blanketing Interference

Fluker, Steve (CXR-Orlando) Steve.Fluker at CoxRadio.com
Mon Sep 21 07:55:28 EDT 2009

I had an FM get into someone's cheap tri-mode stereo system, VCR, and
organ. We replaced the stereo. Yes it was cheaper, I was able to use
better shielded cables for the VCR to solve the problem, but on the
organ, we had to refer him to the manufacturer. The electronics were on
open, unshielded circuit boards, and the thing was O-L-D!. I knew that
if I did anything to it and 6 months from now it failed, he would blame
it on what I did.

One other incident with that same station was a woman in a retirement
high rise nearby who would get the station in her hearing aid. Again, I
could only refer her to the manufacturer.

Also had a station with intermod get into a wireless heart monitor
system at a hospital. I used a 3rd party consultant there who changed
the frequency of the heart monitor. The intermod was found to be a mix
of our station and some two-way equipment used at the hospital, but
changing the heart monitor channels was the easiest solution than to
deal with the intermod.

Chriss is right though, the good neighbor approach is always good.
Visit with them, and do what you can. The hearing aid woman was upset
that there were no stations playing 40's and 50's music. When I told
her there was one, and tuned it in on her radio (which was one of my
stations too! - bonus). She was so happy she sent a rum cake to the
station, and talked to her doctor about the hearing aid.

Steve Fluker