[SBE] LP1 KWVE fined for EAS error

Barry Mishkind barry at oldradio.com
Mon Sep 21 14:51:08 EDT 2009

I keep wondering what else there could be to this story. It was a
"test" after all, and ... Tests fail.
Is there any evidence that they regularly failed in just this way?
Otherwise, as Steve points out, there is no incentive for stations to
do more than the absolute legal minimum.

At 04:42 AM 9/21/2009, Fluker, Steve (CXR-Orlando) wrote:

>The problem that Warren stated about a SAGE unit is real. It's

>caused by a failing "wall-wart" power supply. When an alert is

>sending and the printer starts up, that extra load on the supply

>causes the SAGE to shut down and reboot. The alert begins, but then

>there is no EOM. Apparently that could warrant a $ 5,000 fine now too?

>I agree that this fine is setting the stage for stations who

>volunteered to be LP stations to pull out, or to limit relays to RMT

>or EAN messages only. This does not serve the public, but does

>protect the station owner. It's hard enough to find stations

>willing to volunteer. I really hope this decision can be reversed.

- - -
The Broadcasters' Desktop Resource

<http://www.theBDR.net>www.theBDR.net
Please take a look