[SBE] Career advice needed

Joshua Smith JSmith at star94.com
Wed Sep 23 09:59:59 EDT 2009

Edwin does make an important point.

Nowadays the Engineer is expected to be fluent not just in broadcast but IT,
facilities maintenance, electronics, etc. A big thing a lot of radio
stations (hell, a lot of EVERY business) is involved in is social networking
media and smart phone media (iPhones and the such). Since your injury has
temporarily stopped you from working on soldering and studio builds and the
traditional "broadcast engineer" responsibilities, this may be a good time
to research what direction the current is flowing in those technologies. It
will help a lot when Programming staff or the Web Development staff
eventually says "we want to do *this*" and you will be able to save a lot of
trial and error (and money) by understanding *how*.

As for learning about audio equipment and studios... I went to UMASS/Lowell
(just a bit down the road from you) and they have a nice program on Sound
Recording Technology there... they may offer some night courses to
supplement your education if you felt like taking that route.

- Joshua C Smith

Joshua C Smith, CBT
Assistant Engineer
WSTR-FM "Star 94" / WQXI-AM "790 The Zone"
[Office] : (404) 261-2970 x290
[Direct] : (404) 238-9490
[Mobile] : (404) 617-0430

Lincoln Financial Media ®

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Edwin Bukont <ebukont at msn.com> wrote:

> RF is only a third of the business.

> You should consult the various books available from TAB and Focal Press,

> among various publishers.

> Visit the NAB and SBE bookstores on line.

> Do lots of internet searches for key words. Because the IT industry is

> just starting to learn alot of what we already know about RF and quality

> production of content, there is quite a bit of free knowlege availabe on

> line.

> Get

> http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Wire-Cable-and-Fiber-Optics-for-Video-and-Audio-Engineers/Stephen-H-Lampen/e/9780070371484

> Look for books on digital audio, digital video, hard disk storage, audio

> and video facility fundermentals, computer networking for real time

> applications.

> Learn all you can about proper grounding and surge protection. This

> includes NFPA 780, which is the surge component of the national electrical

> code related to telecom structures.

> Grounding is not just about surge protection now. Proper <5 ohm grounds

> are very important to proper data signals when working at 3V and 5V as many

> computers do.

> read anything you can get on Cisco. they make the switches that run the

> Internet and are best suited to our apps.

> become familiar with National Electrical Code and the low voltage

> requirments that are being enforced w/ 2008 code

> visit the websites of leading manufactuers, if you do some digging, you

> will find a lot of good info for free.

> Learn about Frauhofer Labs, they are the bedrock of audio/video data

> transfer via compression and digital channels. MP(x) (MP2, 3 etc) all come

> from these folks and are in almost all pro devices.

> Dowload various free apps, and apps such as WinAmp so you can take

> advantage of on line content. Be sure you have recent versions of Java,

> Flash, etc needed to play content.

> Go outside of broadcast and learn about Cat 5, Cat 6 and fibewr wiring.

> Many in broadcast do not handle this correctly, so you can actually learn

> wrong by learning about wiring under broadcasters.

> Broadcasting is not a discrete career. Sucess in this biz means knowing

> info from many other industries.

> Edwin Bukont CSRE, DRB, CBNT

> V- 240.417.2475; F- 240.368.1265

> ------------------------------

> From: A9xw at cs.com

> Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 09:10:40 -0400

> To: sbe at sbe.org

> Subject: Re: [SBE] Career advice needed

> my suggested reading list:

> Radio Engineering by Joe Orr

> NAB Engineering Handbook

> VHF UHF Compendium, VOl 1 and 2 by ARRL

> ARRL Handbook

> Buy an unbuilt Heathkit on eBay and build it. That'll teach you to solder

> and follow diagrams.

> Henry

Notice of Confidentiality: **This E-mail and any of its
attachments may contain Lincoln National Corporation
proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or
subject to copyright belonging to the Lincoln National
Corporation family of companies. This E-mail is intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution,
copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and
attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please
notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the
original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout. Thank
You. **