[SBE] Career advice needed

Henry M. Seiden info at techworkspro.com
Wed Sep 23 10:52:18 EDT 2009

Hey Russ,

You can also subscribe to various online publications for industry
news and equipment info.

My periodical reading list, embedded web links:
TV Newscheck (referral to various online articles)
Broadcast Engineering Magazine <- near and dear to to Chriss Scherer's
heart...

Good luck and speedy recovery from your surgery!

Henry S.
On Sep 23, 2009, at 08:28 , Russ VanderHorst wrote:

> Good Morning All,

> I am in need of some career advice. My name is Russ Vander Horst,

> and I was the recipient of the SBE Greenberg scholarship for 2009.

> Because of any accident, my right shoulder rotator cuff was damaged

> and required surgical repair back in March of this year. Healing is

> progressing, but it will probably be another couple of months before

> my shoulder is back to normal. After an appointment with my

> orthopedist, he believes it is in my best interest to have surgery

> on my left shoulder as well, which will side line me for another few

> months.

> I am enrolled in World College working on my B.E.E.T., specializing

> in broadcast engineering, and am doing very well with it; however I

> am a believer that you can only learn so much from a book. I “need

> to get my hands dirty” and do an internship, but this is not going

> to be able to be done for at least another 6 months.

> I would love to read the broadcast engineers handbook, but right now

> just can't afford it…Also I have been downloading the FCC rules

> concerning TV, and should have this done in the next couple of days,

> which I figure will at least help me understand the guidelines I

> will eventually be working under.

> What I am curious about is what other aspiring broadcast technicians

> would do in my situation to promote their learning while unable to

> do an internship (which I would do unpaid of course). Are there web

> sites that I can review? Does anyone have a copy of the broadcast

> engineer’s reference book they would be willing to part with for a

> reasonable sum? Etc.

> Any advice that anyone is willing to give would be greatly

> appreciated!

> Thanks in advance J

> Russ Vander Horst , CBT

Henry M. Seiden
henry<at>techworkspro<dot>com

Drag'n'Drop VCF card... Just drag and drop the attached .vcf card into
your fave addressbook application for instant addition of our address!