[SBE] Career advice needed

Russ VanderHorst russ at russvanderhorst.info
Thu Sep 24 11:31:29 EDT 2009

Good Morning to all,

Thanks for all of the great feedback. I have checked out the websites and
have subscribed to most of them or have marked them in my favorites. Because
I am not able to work right now (I have a pending SS case), I have to do
everything "on the cheap", and these websites will make that a lot easier.
For a few weeks I am going to be bed-ridden, so I am getting a room ready so
that I have books close at hand, the laptop computer available, etc.

It was also mentioned to me (off list) that I learn Windows and Linux inside
and out. I have very good skills with windows, but none with Linux. I have a
computer that I have "retired" and will probably be putting Linux on that
system just to learn it.

As to electronics, I have an AAS degree in electronics technology from the
Cleveland Institute of Electronics.Plus I used to own my own TV repair
business. So I do know how to solder, basics of troubleshooting, etc. I also
have a general class amateur radio license, and hold a GROL and GMDSS with
radar endorsement.

I am willing to take any other advice that anyone has to offer. I plan to
read this list on an at least daily basis, so I figure that is going to help
some also.

Thanks J

Russ Vander Horst, CBT