[SBE] Career advice needed

chscherer at everestkc.net chscherer at everestkc.net
Thu Sep 24 01:01:45 EDT 2009

And also read Radio magazine and Radio Guide and any other journals you can receive.

For the TV side, read Broadcast Engineering and TV Technology.

Chriss Scherer, CPBE CBNT
editor, Radio magazine
(Just being sure to cover the multiple resources.)

>From Kevin Trueblood <kevin at neptuneradio.net>

This is all excellent advice.

I am also one of the younger members of the engineering community. The only formal training in electronics I have received was back in high school. The rest of my experience has come from spending a lot of time looking over shoulders, asking A LOT of questions, and good doses of "trial-by-fire." I have been very lucky to have some very good engineers mentor me and help show me the ropes.

As some have mentioned, get to know the engineers in your area. Go to SBE meetings and see if you can tag along and/or lend a hand once in a while even if it is for free. Many will welcome it and enjoy the company. If there's one thing I've learned about engineers is that they love telling stories and many love to pass their knowledge to others.

Keep readinig this list and subscribe to the radiolist emails. Read Radio World. Ask questions. Good luck!

Kevin Trueblood, CBNT
Engineer
Mid-West Family Broadcasting
Madison, WI