[SBE] Career advice needed

Gary O'Guinn garyo at ktuu.com
Thu Sep 24 13:13:35 EDT 2009

Both.

There are Open Source distributions available from the Web, and Linux
can also be purchased. Ubuntu, SuSE, and I also believe Red Hat have
.ISO files which can be downloaded, burned to a CD or DVD , and booted
from so you can install Linux to the local hard drive. The advantage of
purchase, is that you usually get bundled software included with the
package, some form of a small instruction manual, and product support.
The product support can be valuable if this is the first time you have
installed Linux. Earlier versions of Red Hat and SuSE required a fair
amount of user intervention, and knowledge, to get the proper drivers
installed. Currently though the distributions I am familiar with have
installation "Wizards" which pretty much automate the installation
process: however you still need to be somewhat familiar with your
hardware platform. - This is where tech Support can be a lot of help.

I hope this helps you.
Gary O'Guinn
KTUU-TV
Anchorage, Alaska