[SBE] Career advice needed

Mike Langner mlangner at swcp.com
Thu Sep 24 13:41:24 EDT 2009

Comment from Albuquerque, NM

I use Ubuntu Linux with great ease and with a very easy transition from
Windows.

My resource-intensive expensive new laptop runs Windows Vista.

My old 512 meg memory 700 meg processor laptop runs Ubuntu Linux.

The Linux machine performs tasks as fast as, if not faster than, the Windows
machine.

Ubuntu is available from the Internet as an .iso file, or if you get one of
the not-too-expensive beginner's books on Linux, like "Dummies' Guide to
Ubuntu Linux" you'll find a free CD in the back of the book. Support, from
Canonical and from the Ubuntu users' group is free, although there are in
addition extensions and applications that are sold for a free.

Open Office is phenomenal. I have it installed on both the Windows and the
Linux machine.

Whatever route you choose, good luck. I think we're all going to see lots
more Linux (of whatever flavor) particularly as embedded systems in the
coming years!

Mike/

Mike Langner, CPBE
Albuquerque, NM