[SBE] Is it worth me pursuing my amateur extra license?

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Fri Sep 25 18:04:25 EDT 2009

On Friday 25 September 2009 11:57 am, A9xw at cs.com wrote:

> The Extra class license did give you code credit for one of the Radio

> Telegraph license levels. not sure if theyeven issue those anymore. A 2nd class

> was paper only and a first class required ship board experience if I recall

> correctly.

The Extra would get you credit for the plain-language portion only,
of the 2nd T-ticket, and ONLY if you had taken it in front of an FCC
examiner at a station where the telegraph tests were also given.
You still had to pass the coded groups, and the sending tests.
( I can't remember if the amateur tests had sending. I passed them
all in one sitting one afternoon )
You could bring your own key, or even a bug but you'd better not
have a swing ! You could also take the code test with a mill, if you
brought it with you.
If you failed the commercial test, you could then take the same test
again for amateur, but not the other way around in the same day.
I brought my favorite J-38 and a pencil. Still have the key, but not
the pencil. ;)

Either a first or second T-ticket got credit for all amateur code tests,
but not the written test.
None of the written tests got credit for any other written test.

I can't remember if third telegraph even had a code test, since
I'd passed the first code test before taking any of the written tests.

The first required two years either on ship, or at a coast station, and
a point to point inland station ( like WQB where I worked ) didn't count.
It wasn't on a coast. Letter of the law, even for that.

--
Cowboy

http://cowboys.homeip.net

Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers.
-- Leonard Brandwein