[SBE] Is it worth me pursuing my amateur extra license?

A9xw at cs.com A9xw at cs.com
Fri Sep 25 11:57:17 EDT 2009

My Extra include smith chart questions and resonant circuit questions,
about the same as my 1st phone element 3 in 1969. Element 4 then had a tube
circuit and a transistor circuit and you had to figure out current and voltage
values. The radar endorsement you had to ID the various parts in a radar
system, chokes, rotating joints, etc. I remember a question on suisoidal
modulation, phase and "true" FM.
I don't recall any AM phasor or tower patterns except one 2 tower pick the
right pattern, fed 180 out of phase spaced 90 degrees and equal base
currents. The Extra class license did give you code credit for one of the Radio
Telegraph license levels. not sure if theyeven issue those anymore. A 2nd class
was paper only and a first class required ship board experience if I recall
correctly.

Henry