[SBE] A day in the life of a Broadcast Engineer

Russ VanderHorst russ at russvanderhorst.info
Thu Oct 1 12:33:41 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I am curious about something that I think would make for valuable discussion
on this list. My shoulder problems do not permit me at this time to "shadow"
an actual broadcast engineer, so I am unable to actually get my hands dirty
doing the job at the moment (and it will probably be a few months before I
am able to do so).

So what I am curious about is this.what is an actual day like for the
broadcast engineer. I remember when I had my television repair business, the
public took their televisions WAY to seriously (they were almost like a
child to them).even though we were an independent service station for many
brands, most customers saw us AS the particular company of the brand we were
servicing.and would become quite angry with us when there were part
back-orders, dog problems, etc.

Being the owner and manager, I dealt with any personnel problems that arose,
and dealing with such things is never fun.so from a management and technical
perspective on the receiving side of the business, I can understand things,
but not having dealt with the other end (station managers, unexpected
downtime, technical problems etc) I don't know what this is like. Would
anyone care to share what a typical day in the life of a broadcast engineer
is like? I understand that some people will not be able to respond to this
post directly because they are employed in the field and may not have the
most complementary things to say about management, so feel free to contact
me off list if you wish.

Thanks J

Russ, CBT