[SBE] EAS CAP

Richard Rudman rar01 at mac.com
Sat Oct 3 01:07:00 EDT 2009

As Clay Freinwald and others including myself have said for some time,
the public internet should not be the only way stations get CAP
messages.

Some of you may be familiar with the Local Relay Network (LRN) concept
as is practiced in Washington State. Radio links act as wireless
multipoint distribution systems from warning centers to all EAS
broadcast entry points.

The existing LP relay network perpetuates the daisy chain we all
thought we said good-by to when we left EBS. Getting EAS messages from
warning centers to al broadcast entry points simultaneously. My
personal take (having served as an LECC Chair and still serving as the
Vice-Chair for the California SECC) is that depending on an LP-1
creates a link in the warning chain that, if broken, will make it
highly unlikely (if not impossible) that any stations monitoring that
LP1 will get the message.

NWS/ NOAA Weather Radio has stepped in to effectively create LRN's
already in some areas. I believe if local civil warning centers link
up with NOAA weather radio and themselves license and operate LRN's,
we can create a much more robust platform that can be the basis for
EAS monitoring assignments in future LECC and SECC plans.

There are proposals before FEMA and FCC for such wireless radio links
(LRN's). Stay tuned.

Richard Rudman