[SBE] Airbus wants real time data?

Edwin Bukont ebukont at msn.com
Mon Oct 5 18:12:17 EDT 2009

Saw an article whereby Airbus wants to augment blackboxes and ACARS with a new service for enhanced real time data from aircraft to manufactuer or control tower. It appears they are proposing this as a world wide system.

The service would operate on VHF within 125 miles of a receive site and via satellite when beyond range.

I am curious if anyone has more detail on this, and how might it impact existing uses of that channel space?

Is SBE aware of this and does it pose a new or enhanced threat to broadcast production or transmission?

I wonder how well satellite is going to work when a plane is in the midst of a hurricane or thunderstorm.

Edwin Bukont CSRE, DRB, CBNT
V- 240.417.2475; F- 240.368.1265