[SBE] EAS CAP

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Mon Oct 5 20:31:15 EDT 2009

On Sunday 04 October 2009 08:59 pm, k7cr wrote:

> When the chips are down and everything 'craps-out' (Technical term) what is

> our ultimate fall-back (Proven over and over again)?

> HAM RADIO

> They do it with - WIRELESS.

> Duh !

This was a biggie in my original comments that created EAS in it's very first incantation.

At that time, the feeling at the FCC was that the prohibition on material for "broadcast"
precluded any use of the Amateur service as part of EAS.

As then, I still stand squarely on the side of using any and all resources available
when life is at stake.
Then, the lawyers in the FCC disagreed.

Then, I proposed Amateur as an alternative source. Backup, secondary, thirdary,
( is that a word ? ) whatever.
I'd proposed allowing the use of converted amateur gear FOR broadcast during a
declared emergency. That too, was rejected, on basis that it hadn't been type approved
for broadcast.
Even back then, the LAWYERS were part of the problem.

That my original comments were taken pretty much verbatim, as THE original EAS
I still consider to be a feather in my cap, in spite of what many broadcasters have
stated subsequently.
Remember, that original incantation allowed TWO YEARS for revisions of almost
any kind at all, by broadcasters.
How many submitted revisions ?
I know exactly how many. It's a round number.
No pity from this corner.

Still, it's another day.
Maybe in this day, common sense can prevail ?

--
Cowboy

http://cowboys.homeip.net

What is irritating about love is that it is a crime that requires an accomplice.
-- Charles Baudelaire