[SBE] In Need of Mentoring

Jeff Carter sbe at hidden-valley.com
Sun Oct 11 13:41:37 EDT 2009

Please don't take this wrong, anybody. Listen to the full message and
think before you react out of a knee-jerk response.

Should we, considering the market and what we've seen, be advising
anybody to enter this career field?

I am beginning to wonder if I can do so in good conscience. If we're
going to advise and mentor, it strikes me that there's an obligation
to give good advice when we give it.

As a result, can we really say come on in, the water's fine?

To start, I'll address the school issue. With the exception of
people I've worked with on the National level, almost nobody here in
Georgia that I've worked with in broadcast engineering has had a
college degree. A lot of people take on debt to go to school. I
don't think I could tell somebody to go borrow money to get into this.

What are your *honest* thoughts on the matter, separated from lip
service? I hear a lot of old timers say privately that it's been dead
awhile, and is now just an animated corpse compared to what it used to
be.

Jeff/KD4RBG