[SBE] In Need of Mentoring

k7cr k7cr at blarg.net
Sun Oct 11 17:53:16 EDT 2009

Let me add that I too have met a number of folks in this
business that have not received any formal education in this
field and yet appear to do quite well. I suspect that this
has been the case in many fields. I am thankful that I did
obtain a formal education with ton's of classroom and lab
time that enabled me to understand the why things work
the way they do. Then again the school I attended no longer
has the same courses. I have met recently graduated EE's
that have absolutely zero practical knowledge. When you
have to get the job done, there is really no substitute for
experience.

Bottom line - I'd opt for, at least, 2 years of electronics
training before thinking about this field. In the mean time
two hobbies are as great asset - Computers and Ham Radio.

Clay Freinwald, K7CR