[SBE] In Need of Mentoring

Jeff Carter sbe at hidden-valley.com
Sun Oct 11 18:57:16 EDT 2009

A good place to look to check that assertion for yourself is the SBE
Job Page. Call some of those folks and talk to them, and get an idea
of the money they're willing to pay.

I don't know about right this minute, but low end IT jobs have been
paying more during the last decade.

You can literally be paid more for knowing less in an IT job with an
equivalent IT skillset as a broadcast engineer has to have. Plus, no
IT person ever had to get armpit deep in an oil-filled HV power supply
system. A lot of modern Broadcast Engineering is IT related, you
wouldn't believe how much overlap there is.

If you just want to do it for the love of the game, I'd look at NPR or
religious stations. There are plenty of them who have screwed all the
contractors but still need help and would welcome you as a long-lost
son, so long as you weren't looking to get paid properly and could do
anything at all for them. Your CBT would be sufficient for them, if
they even know what the SBE is.

Jeff/KD4RBG