[SBE] In Need of Mentoring

russ at russvanderhorst.info russ at russvanderhorst.info
Sun Oct 11 18:17:05 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I have to agree with the satisfaction factor. A bit of background on me...I am a former
mathematician. I taught everything from basic mathematics through differential equations to
blind/deaf/physically impared students. While I loved working with the students, I HATED the
administative crap that went with it. Also education changed over the years, and I saw a lot
of students who frankly just didn't belong in college, yet I was expected to get them
through...I'm a damned good teacher (other people's words, not mine)...but there are some
things that just cant be fixed. It got to the point where I was blamed for the failure of some of
these students...I had enough and decided to get out of the field.

I have had a interest in broadcasting (the technical end) since high school...but I followed in
the steps of my great grand father, grand father, and father and became a mathematican
(and let me tell you...Great grand dad and grandpa were pure mathemathematicans, dad
was a statistician, and I was an applied mathematician...you aint seen conversations like we
used to have at the thanksgiving dinner table).

My wife works in the medical field, and is well paid...I could hang tough for a bit, but would
eventualy have to find a job. I believe I would find the satisfaction, even though the money is
not there...but I am getting the impression that there are no jobs out there to be had...even
with a B.E.E.T. degree.

Thanks,

Russ