[SBE] In Need of Mentoring

jer hill jerhil at verizon.net
Mon Oct 12 13:48:40 EDT 2009

I'll jump in here on the coat tails of Clay and affirm that RF is Good for
you!

Programming might really be the challenge right now. Engineering is the
means for programming to reach the public. Long standing programming models
were fine until challenged by new technology models that delivered
programming on demand.

Somebody soon will come up with a new program format that takes advantage of
broadcasts unique assets in a way that can't be copied by or improved on by
new media. Think in terms of how deviant Rush Limbaugh and Art Bell were
from the center of the radio bell curve when they started.

It is interesting that the technology side of new media is where the money
is for engineers and that the technology side of broadcast is where the
engineers are starving. When they start paying new media managers bonuses
based upon the amount of profit they turn at the end of the year like the GM
is compensated in broadcast, the playing field will level. An opportunity
for the smart broadcaster? If they're smart.

Jer Hill