[SBE] In Need of Mentoring

russ at russvanderhorst.info russ at russvanderhorst.info
Mon Oct 12 16:41:32 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I do appreciate all of the great feedback, even though I feel kind of like a "list pig' here
because I am starting such long threads.

A bit of background on me...I have a GROL and a GMDSS with radar endoresment. I have a
general class amateur ticket, which I am looking at bumping up into the amateur extra class.

I used to own a television repair business...but I remember when the new technology started
coming in (LCD, plasma, etc) everything when to board replacement...no diagnosis to the
componet level any more. I see the broadcasting industry going that way. I don't know this
for certain, but from the sounds of it, unless you have a background in almost everythign (IT,
RF, etc), you are going to be useful for taking out defective boards and replacing them with
new ones. Does this sound about right?

Thanks,

Russ