[SBE] In Need of Mentoring

russ at russvanderhorst.info russ at russvanderhorst.info
Mon Oct 12 19:46:27 EDT 2009

Howdy,

So it sounds like to me to make it in the modern broadcast engineering, you have to have
quite a depth of knowledge, IT, compression schemes, Digital principles, modulations
methods, and a slew of other information. Yet, it seems like the broadcast engineer is being
phased out due to automation...much of these functions are handled by boards which can
easily be replaced by someone with very little training (and hence paid very little money).
Then of course (although I have no practical experience with this), you have general
managers who are trying to squeeze every penny out of their station that they can, and the
engineering department is the group that gets hit hard due to this automation. Who knows,
with the advent of modern 3D graphic technics, they will even be able to replace the on-air
personallities with computer generated animations which look real enough that nobody will
care (and they never get sick, want more money, or try to negotiate a new contract).

Personally (and I don't know if this is accurate or not), it doesn't seem to me like a television
or radio station has a very high profit margin and have to cut as much as they can and
squeeze as much out of their technical personel as possible.

any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Russ