[SBE] In Need of Mentoring

russ at russvanderhorst.info russ at russvanderhorst.info
Tue Oct 13 11:10:22 EDT 2009

Hi Henry,

A while back I asked if public safety radio would come under the realm of broadcast
engineering...the vast majority of people said no. However, based on what I am reading on
this list, it may be better to diversify into not just radio and television, but into other radio
related fields as well (public safety, private companies who lease airtime to customers, etc).
While this may not be 'broadcast engineering' in the truest sense, all of these disiplines
follow all of the same general electronic practices, and perhaps would offer more job
opportunities. One person on this list said "they have never met an electron that knew the
difference"...and I can see this persons point.

There is a Christian Radio Station in my area that I am thinking about offering my help at
free of charge just for the experience (and based on their transmission quality and down
time, they need the help). I have also asked about volunteering at a local television station
(telemundo) (sp?) and was told that there would be complications with OHSA laws, would
have to get approval from higher up, etc...I have asked this more than once, and have
received the same answer each time...so I am under the impression that my free help is not
desired, and have given up on this. Hopefully I will have better luck at the christian station.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Sincerely,

Russ