[SBE] In Need of Mentoring

Adrienne Abbott weathertop at charter.net
Tue Oct 13 11:39:26 EDT 2009

Russ wrote:
I have also asked about volunteering at a local television station
(telemundo) (sp?) and was told that there would be complications with OHSA
laws, would have to get approval from higher up, etc...I have asked this
more than once, and have received the same answer each time...so I am under
the impression that my free help is not desired, and have given up on this.

Don't take it personally, Russ...various federal and station regulations and
labour laws have all but done away with free internships at commercial
stations. It's not that they wouldn't like to have your help, it's just that
the days when you could learn this business hanging around and emptying
waste baskets are long gone. It's different at an all-volunteer station
although you may want to check with your insurance provider to make sure you
are covered if you hurt yourself or get hurt because of something someone
else at the station does or if you accidentally damage station equipment. It
shouldn't have to be that way, but it is...
Adrienne