[SBE] Sat Truck Operator Licensing

Gibson Prichard gibson at prichard.tv
Fri Nov 6 20:11:55 EST 2009

What is the consensus of the legality of a two-person crew (reporter &
satellite-trained photographer) being sent to operate a sat truck for
ENG News gathering? Once the shot is up and on the bird, the operator
might step away from the controls to operate the camera while the
reporter is on-air. It would be possible to tie the uplink's transmit
enable to a remote line that the photographer could toggle off if need
be in an emergency. It could be tied to H sync or valid SDI clock data
from the camera, so turning the camera off would turn the satellite
transmitter into standby, thus essentially meeting the "designated
remote control point" requirement.
I'm sure there are many times when the scenario above takes place, and
probably most ENG trucks are without a remote turn-off ability. Does
anyone know if a station has ever been cited for not having an operator
in front of the "radiate" switch at all times?

Gibson Prichard
Nashville