[SBE] The EB vs KWVE

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Thu Nov 19 09:39:03 EST 2009

On Thursday 19 November 2009 09:19 am, Joshua Smith wrote:

> It does bring up an interesting thought though: For small broadcasters, $5K

> is a pretty steep bill to pay for a mistake in a system you can opt out of -

> especially in the current economy.

Except that you can not opt-out as in "opt out."
You can ONLY opt out of the presidential alert, and go off the air instead.
You're still subject to testing requirements, which is partly why opting out
makes almost zero sense, as even opting in you still have the option to not
carry any non-presidential alert.

> However, the Behavioral Psychologist in

> me says they shouldn't just *waive* the fine (if you're going to have a

> system of reward and punishment for doing something work than you need

> consistency - By ultimately waiving the fine you're making a system that a

> lot of people already see as little more than a hassle seem even more

> illegitimate).

It's my opinion that the fine should most certainly be more than waived, but
rescinded in entirety, and no "admonishments" are in order, either.

There was a successful test, which is what the rules require.
The test successfully exposed a mistake, which was then corrected.
EXACTLY what the rules require *is* what this fine was for !!
This station is being fined for *complying* with the rules.
THAT's what's very, very wrong in this whole scenario.

--
Cowboy

http://cowboys.homeip.net

"...a most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"
-- _Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure_