[SBE] High Intensity Tower Light (1000ft tower)

Rolin Lintag rolin.lintag at vtntv.com
Tue Feb 23 11:11:00 EST 2010

We have a system installed last Dec 2007 that has most of its electronics inside the building. There are 12 flashheads with respective power controllers. The topmost 4 have their controllers at the 300-ft level so it needs a climb just the same.

I have worked on the power controllers inside the building and was able to replace capacitors and timing & trigger boards. I was told by an experienced tower crew that the manufacturer will most likely replace the trigger board whenever there is an issue since it looks like the weak part of the chain. I have replaced 3 of such boards for the last two years in operation.

A tower climb is needed just the same to replace flash tubes at the flashheads. We have to schedule every 3 years to replace all flash tubes so that chances of failure of individual bulbs is less, hence less climbs.

We could have gotten an LED system if only our chosen brand was able to secure an FAA/FCC type approval in time. They are from Canada.

At another 1,000ft tower with older Fuellgraff system, maintenance is a nightmare. It averages at least 3 climbs a year for about $13,000 in parts and labor.

The painted tower idea with LEDs look appealing.

Romualdo "ROLIN" Lintag, CSTE
Chief RF Engineer
Victory Television Network
KVTN 25.1 Pine Bluff, AR