[SBE] Mic Boom Arm Help - Rountable Quesions - studio tour and mics in use link

Dan Slentz dan_slentz at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 13 08:05:13 EST 2010

Thanks, Kent.

I'm surprised and wondering if he didn't switch manufacturers or design.  The installed desk mount fits the boom stem to tightly that we had to sand it to get a fit that would allow it to pivot (and I didn't understand adding a thumb screw to lock the position and completely removed it.)
Our station is a AAA with only a live morning and afternoon show.  Our jocks are from our NPR station (think Pete Schvety NPR skit from Saturday Night Live) and are far from motion and action of a CHR or AOR jock in the studio (no Wolfman Jacks here).
The problem I found is that the arm "elbow" only has "nibblets" instead of pins running through the elbow.  When the mic is moved, the whole thing tends to skew or twist a little.  The "nibblets" pop out of the receiving "divot" and it just kind of falls apart at the elbow.  Since the springs are in the tubing (which is nice for appearance and the "spring 'boing' reverb", when the elbow comes apart the spring "self ejects".

You can see our mics in use at this link:  http://kxt.org/in-studio/  (live bands performing)  and a tour of the studio on the last page (my tour three days before we launched the station on 11/6/09) http://kxt.org/in-studio/page/4/

I'm guessing something changed between the ones you have and the ones we received.

I am glad to know that not all of them are falling apart.

Thanks again,
Dan