[SBE] The future of Broadcasting.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD dynotherm at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 13 22:01:12 EST 2010

If NOLA were not wake up call enough, surely the next
disaster will be a clear and present warning to those
who mistakenly believe a system designed for ONE to ONE
messaging at times when the normal infrastructure is
intact and operating normally can supplant a system
designed for ONE to MANY messaging that has evolved over
decades to operate in all conceivable conditions including
the worst natural disasters and nuclear warfare.

During the worst conditions only two complimentary
systems are proven. They are amateur radio for gathering
and routing information as it develops and Class A AM
stations for disseminating information and instructions
to the public at large (because only those stations have
the necessary coverage for all conditions).

In the case of ongoing terrorist activity security demands
immediate cessation of cellular/wireless services for
reasons that should be obvious (if those systems have not
already crashed from attempted overuse by the general
public).

It has become au courant to ignore PICN in the interest
of greater profits, but the fact is that radio has always
been, and remains, charged with serving the National
NECESSITY because it can (and should), and can do it
far better than any other service under the worst
possible circumstances. Making clear the difference
between broadcasting and the plethora of half-baked ideas
that have shown they cannot reliably cope with something
as simple as a severe winter storm should be one of our
prime objectives IMHO because, at the end of the day, it
is a matter of our National security.

When all else crashes including wired telephone service,
RADIO WORKS! Radio always works. Listeners can rely on
radio. We know that. We have proven it time and time again,
and that should be our response to the half-baked nonsense
purveyed by some who would like to edge us aside for their
simple greed. The SBE in in a unique position to "broadcast"
this message. Ultimately, it is a matter of survival in
the worst cases.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD