[SBE] SBE Digest, Vol 264, Issue 7

Dan Rapak DanRapak at verizon.net
Tue Mar 16 21:15:14 EDT 2010

"What would you like the Society to do on your behalf? Is there a
compelling member interest that the Society should take an aggressive
position on decidedly "industry" issue?

Barry,

I have a suggestion. How about a seminar, webinar or if necessary an Ennis
course on how video is mass-distributed via server? How many of us know how
this all actually works? You don't just stick a server or two in a closet
and have millions of people log in.

For example, take a company like Akamai Technologies. If memory serves, this
is one of the companies (or they purchased one of the companies) that
handled the web distribution of the "March Madness" basketball games for
CBS. For those who aren't familiar, CBS made all of the games - including
out of market games - available on streaming video. Initially it was pay per
view, but beginning in 2006 the feeds were advertiser supported and free to
the viewer. So many people watched that year that one of our Congressman
actually decried CBS on the floor of Congress for lowering the nation's
productivity because so many people were watching basketball on their
computers at work! I heard someone from CBS speak about this at NAB the
first year they did it. The gentleman (forgive me, but I can't recall his
name) bemoaned the fact that had they known it would be so successful, they
could have charged MUCH higher rates for their commercials.
http://www.newsweek.com/id/124404

Here are some things that many SBE members may not be aware of. As this was
several years ago, I may not have this 100% correct and would welcome anyone
who was actually involved in the process to chime in and set me straight.

- Someone wishing to log in to watch the game was initially entered into a
queue and NOT connected to a server. The purpose of this was to prevent the
servers from being swamped. When it was certain that server access was
available, viewers were taken from the queue and connected to a server. The
wait time was minimal.

- More servers were brought into the mix as the queue grew.

- The servers were spread out geographically around the world to "spread the
load." The idea was not only to avoid overloading one particular server, but
also to avoid overloading any one section of the Internet.

There is no doubt much more interesting stuff about this process. Assume
more and more TV sets with Internet connectivity. Assume people realize that
even Cable TV is becoming superfluous. Sooner or later our stations are
going to want to stream programming live via the web and in full broadcast
HD quality. It might behoove us all to learn more about the process.

Food for thought.

Regards,
Dan Rapak - CPBE, CBNT, 8VSB