[SBE] The future of Broadcasting.

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Wed Mar 17 13:20:40 EDT 2010

On Monday 15 March 2010 01:30:00 pm Dan Rapak wrote:

> First of all, in having this discussion, I think we need to differentiate

> between radio and television. Maintaining radio is crucial in that the

> dissemination of information in times of emergencies cannot be left to the

> wired infrastructure.

But radio has abdicated this responsibility, and no one seems to care.

> That's radio. When it comes to television no one on this list is going to

> want to hear what follows. With respect, I think we may be missing the

> point. The core issue is not so much what the FCC or the government will or

> will not do. The issue is the marketplace.

It used to be that "when severe weather strikes" the local AM was the
place to go. Radio.
These days, the adjacent town TV is the better place, lacking as it is.

These are programming issues, not engineering.
Unfortunately, they are programming issues that severely affect
engineering in a very direct and devastating way.

--
Cowboy

http://cowboys.homeip.net

Accident, n.:
A condition in which presence of mind is good, but absence of
body is better.