[SBE] The future of Broadcasting.

Dan Slentz dan_slentz at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 18 12:39:56 EDT 2010

I see this discussion as going off topic (and I'm to blame too), but find it useful, interesting, and probably necessary.  Putting on the "blinders" and saying this doesn't affect me eventually leads to "geez, now it affects me".  Makes me think of the old saying about allowing things to happen and not standing up to say "no", then finding that when it happens to you there's no one left to say "no".

Our field is broadcasting.  Our specialty is engineering (though most of us know more than just engineering).  I wonder how we got to this day when it really appears the government potentially could remove OTA TV from existence (if not a big part of OTA)?   And where does it stop?  Will Nextel, AT&T, Verizon, or some new unnamed corporation suggest to our government "hey, we'll give you $10B for all that 'wasted FM space', plus 15% gross" and the "powers that be" will then say (and honestly so), we can stream audio to cars over that specturm.. allow users to choose what they want/when they want it.   Honestly, do any of us not see that a radio could (and maybe should) include audio streaming?   And yes, that could easily come from cell spectrum and other places, but certainly there are/were options to taking away TV spectrum on this recent "initiative".

So, my friends and collegues in broadcasting... where is the line between "this is an engineering topic" and "this is a political topic".   Seems to me that the government has already blurred that line pretty well.

As always... just an opiniion, for what it's worth.