[SBE] The future of Broadcasting.

Sam Garfield sgarfield at dilicast.com
Thu Mar 18 13:05:33 EDT 2010

It is hard to have respected the SBE National during the DTV transition
since the SBE National took no position on this issue. The SBE National
did not try to educate the public (and could have been heroes), or to
assist with input if the U.S. was ready for this transition. The local
chapters took their own initiative to do what they could. No combined
engineering voice was heard to the Political Leaders of our Government
from the SBE National as to the DTV transition. Although part of the
Charter of the SBE is to promote jobs within the industry, the SBE
National was silent to the FCC and its members on the DTV transition and
the loss of spectrum. During my time on the National Board, I tried to
get the attention of the Board that this major change was coming and
that the SBE could steer the ship. Rather the SBE National choose to
pursue other events that were not relevant to membership & jobs. The SBE
needs to be an active participant with the present government
administration in representing its members NOW and awaken our Government
to the benefit that OTA provides.