[SBE] Going forward

John Collinson modulationlimited at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 18:47:55 EDT 2010

No rants here, though some of the ranters have well expressed legitimate
concerns.

Just a logical question. Much of the justification for the usurpation of TV
spectrum lies in the fact that roughly 85% of the nation gets its TV signals
from cable, satellite, FIOS, UVerse, or similar pay systems. For at least a
primary set in each household that is undeniably true.

Now the mirror image: Nearly all of those same providers also provide
broadband service. I realize wireless internet services already exist- I've
used them myself very successfully. But if the push is to have broadband
access to every household shouldn't we already have the means in place today
to provide roughly 80% of that? And what about the folks who have NO
interest in internet access, period?

If the stated goal is truly the intended goal then I fail to see why so much
spectrum would be necessary. And will these internet providers be required
to keep public files, run public affairs and children's programming, run
delay units with dump buttons, closed caption all their content... (OK,
slight tongue in cheek here).