[SBE] The future of Broadcasting.

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Fri Mar 19 09:00:37 EDT 2010

On Thursday 18 March 2010 08:43:03 pm weathertop at charter.net wrote:

> These are very people who are

> supposed to tell our public what’s going on in the world, the ones we work

> hard to support and keep on the air, and yet it seems that they are

> fiddling while Rome burns.

> If the end of the broadcast era isn’t enough to get the

> attention of the best asset we have to bring attention to our cause, how

> can we begin to fight for our existence?

Kinda my point as well, however some of the comments made seem
to fit right in to that model.

IMHO, the future of broadcasting is on-line, strictly pay TV, or some
variant thereof.

For *ME* it doesn't much matter.
Since I'm a project engineer, building studios, stacking steel, tuning DA's,
hanging bat-wings, and the like, *I* will still have the same work I've
always had ! ( OK, maybe AM DA's will go away )

There will still be "radio" studios. There will still be "evening news" sets.
There will still be GMA studios, but none of these will be feeding
terrestrial transmitters.

There will still be terrestrial transmitters, but it won't be broadcast
studios feeding them.

As a project engineer, all of the things I've been doing for the
past 30+ years will still need doing.
Today's "broadcast engineer" be he/she radio or TV, I'm
not so sure ! Methinks that's most of YOU !

Sure, there's been a distinct lack of project work the last two or
three years, except for the 2 gig Sprint thing, and HD TV, both
of which are aimed at dismantling conventional broadcast and
taking away spectrum, but that'll change.
Someone will have to build the private industry "broadband" into
the former broadcast spectrum, so I *will* have work.

OK, off-topic. I'll shut up and sit down now.

--
Cowboy

http://cowboys.homeip.net

You can't hold a man down without staying down with him.
-- Booker T. Washington