[SBE] The future of Broadcasting.

weathertop at charter.net weathertop at charter.net
Thu Mar 18 20:43:03 EDT 2010

Dear Future-of-Broadcasting types—
We have all found this topic of sufficient interest to swamp our moderator with several hundred emails in less than a week. Does anyone else feel slightly alarmed that there’s nothing coming out of our newsrooms about this? Can our news departments be so blind as to miss what’s going on here? We’ve heard about the hundreds of news people from network to small stations who have been laid off over the past couple of years but nothing about these proposed changes that will outright close many radio and TV stations. These are very people who are supposed to tell our public what’s going on in the world, the ones we work hard to support and keep on the air, and yet it seems that they are fiddling while Rome burns. Look at the stories on tonight’s five o’clock news—Tiger Wood’s porn star girlfriend tells all, Sandra Bullock’s wandering husband apologizes for behaving like Tiger Woods, spring floods in the Midwest, a new virus you can get from Facebook, and oh, that Health Care debate thing. If the end of the broadcast era isn’t enough to get the attention of the best asset we have to bring attention to our cause, how can we begin to fight for our existence?
Adrienne