[SBE] Another Aspect of the Future of Broadcasting

Gary gbrefini at aol.com
Fri Mar 19 10:09:03 EDT 2010

This thread is extremely important to NOT CENSOR if it is a civil and
polite post. Remember folks; these get archived and can be Googled
later, many years later, so be nice.
This whole issue of talking about taking away spectrum from TV
broadcasters (and yes radio is headed there too my friends) is
dangerous. It is very dangerous. Whether it is a conspiracy or not I do
not know but I do not see this current Administration & FCC acting in a
way that says I can trust them. They have said what they intended to do
with health care and they are doing it despite the fact that 73% of the
citizens of this country do not want it done their way.....

Look, we know that most delivery of TV is via cable or fiber. But
believe it or not many households have OTA receivers that are battery
operated. The new HDTV handheld devices are everywhere...I saw one for
sale at CVS drug stores for $119.00. People rely on OTA because unless
the TV station's tower falls down or they have a catastrophic loss of
power there will be some signal on the air directing people in an
emergency. Cable and fiber will not be functioning and if it is
functioning after a disaster, the battery backups along the poles and
by-ways are usually designed for 24 to 48 hours. Ask yourself; how long
did Katrina last? Consider this factoid; a licensed low power FM in the
area, built by an amateur radio operator, Brice Phillips, call sign
KB5MPW, who built the damn RF plant HIS way was one of only four
stations on the air in the aftermath dispensing critical emergency
guidance to anyone with a battery operated receiver. If you want to
know the story Bill Moyers of PBS did a story on his heroic effort and
how his station stayed on the air
http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/08242007/profile3.html).

Another consideration is this; if you allow Internet only delivery of
TV then you run the risk of Government control of the content because
they control the gates. Right now, OTA TV and radio provide content and
delivery the content. Except for the FCC rules about naughty words and
pictures, the free flow of thought is delivered without the
gatekeepers. If you think the Government will not get into the gate
keeping business then just think back to the fuss about reviving The
Fairness Doctrine. Love him or hate him, Rush Limabugh wrote a letter
to President Obama about this issue
(http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123508978035028163.html). He asked the
question" "Is it your intention to censor talk radio through a variety
of contrivances, such as "local content," "diversity of ownership," and
"public interest" rules -- all of which are designed to appeal to
populist sentiments but, as you know, are the death knell of talk radio
and the AM band?". The revival of The Fairness Doctrine was all about
gate keeping. Placing everything on cable or fiber enables the ultimate
in gate keeping.

And finally, is no one concerned about delivery the best signal
possible to the viewer? OTA TV is the best you can get short of being
at the station. OTA analog radio is the best short of being at the
station. TV stations use modulation systems that cost thousands of
times more than the head end modulators use by cable and fiber
companies and there is no bit reduction. As a radio guy I am saddened
that in this digital age the audio artifacts I hear on the HD-1
channels and on my satellite receiver are horrible...Some songs are
just do not get reproduced correctly due to the original artifacts in
the original master tapes.This causes the encoder to wander all over
the place; the result? wishy washy audio with no bass and warbling high
ends.

Thank you very much for posting this. I want my OTA TV and radio to
continue and I want the broadcasters to be in the delivery business. It
is important for reasons of freedom of speech and quality.