[SBE] wrong Program PID's

Gary Stewart gstewart at ctvn.org
Mon May 17 17:26:39 EDT 2010

Does anyone know how bad our PID situation may be? Our programming is
carried on a digital LPTV station in a large city and their program
PID's do not comply with the ATSC program paradigm. Instead of the
normal two digit PIDS (pgm3=49/52, pgm 4=65/68 and pgm 5=81/84), they
are using 4 digit PIDS, each sub-channel having the 4 digit PID numbers
that fed through from the associated satellite feed, such as 4131 for
video and 4129 for audio. This worries me. First of all is it legal?
Second, are there potential reception problems? We do have some
response from there but not a lot, so some converters boxes and digital
TV's are indeed successfully tuning in to these PID'S. I know when we
had some wrong two digit PIDs on another station there were some brands
of converters boxes that couldn't get our audio. What do you know about
using 4 digit PID's?

Gary Stewart