[SBE] ANSI Cert for SBE Certs

BILLG @WMRG.COM BILLG at WMRG.COM
Wed Jun 23 09:54:10 EDT 2010

Jim

The need for SBE to get their courses certified is increasing by the day. Pennsylvania has finally pass the rules requiring Professional Engineers to have 24 Professional Development Hours (PHD) (What ever they are) every two years to renewal your license. In typicical legislatutive speak they mix Continuing Education (CE) credits with this PDH , how many equal the other and whether or not the CE courses need to be pre-approved and what constitutes acceptable courses and other related credits. Every couple of weeks they send out updates to the rules (maybe they like killing trees).

I'm attaching the ACT as currently posted below

By having the cources and cirt blessed by an official body. it would make it "easier" to know what might be approved

Bill Gellhaus P.E., CPBE, CBNT. CCABW, et al........
Engineer, Land Surveyor and Geologist Registration Law

(Continuing Education Provisions)

Section 2. Definitions.

As used in this act -

* * *

(o) "Activity" shall mean any qualifying activity with a clear purpose and objective which will maintain, improve or expand the skills and knowledge relevant to a licensee's professional practice.

(p) "College or unit semester hour" or "college or unit quarter hour" shall mean credit for courses in programs approved by the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology or the National Association of State Boards of Geology or other related college courses.

(q) "Continuing education unit" shall mean a unit of credit customarily used for continuing education courses.

(r) "Course" shall mean any qualifying course with a clear purpose and objective which will maintain, improve or expand the skills and knowledge relevant to a licensee's professional practice.

* * *

(t) "Professional development hour" or "PDH" shall mean fifty minutes of instruction or presentation relevant to professional practice or any equivalent.

* * *

Section 4.5. Continuing Professional Competency Requirements.

(a) In order to safeguard life, health and property and to promote the public welfare, the practice of professional engineering, professional land surveying and professional geology in this commonwealth requires continuing professional education.

(b) Each licensee shall be required to meet the continuing professional competency requirements of this section as a condition for licensure renewal. Continuing professional competency obtained by a licensee should maintain, improve or expand skills and knowledge obtained prior to initial licensure, including law and ethics applicable to the profession, or develop new and relevant skills and knowledge. No credit shall be given for a course in practice building or office management.

(c) Each licensee shall be required to obtain twenty-four PDH units during the biennial renewal period. If a licensee exceeds the requirement in any renewal period, a maximum of twelve PDH units may be carried forward into the subsequent renewal period. PDH units may be earned as follows:

(1) Successful completion of college courses relevant to professional practice.

(2) Completion of continuing education courses relevant to professional practice.

(3) Completion of correspondence, televised, videotaped and other short courses or tutorials relevant to professional practice.

(4) Completion of seminars, employer-sponsored courses, workshops or professional or technical presentations made at meetings, conventions or conferences relevant to professional practice.

1 2

(5) Teaching, presenting or instructing in any of the activities listed in clauses (1), (2), (3) and (4).

(6) Authoring published papers, articles or books relevant to professional practice.

(7) Obtaining patents relevant to professional practice.

(d) (1) Except as provided in clause (2), units of other types of credit shall be converted to PDH units as follows:

(i) One college or unit semester hour shall equal forty-five PDH units.

(ii) One college or unit quarter hours shall equal thirty PDH units.

(iii) One continuing education unit shall equal ten PDH units.

(iv) One hour of professional development in course work, seminars or professional, technical presentations made at meetings, employer-sponsored courses, conventions or conferences shall equal one PDH unit.

(v) Each published paper, article or book shall equal ten PDH units.

(vi) Each patent obtained shall equal ten PDH units.

(2) Teaching any of the activities listed in clause (1)(i), (ii), (III) and (iv) shall equal double the amount of PDH units provided for in those subclauses. Teaching credit shall be awarded for teaching a course or seminar but shall not be awarded to full-time faculty members in the performance of their duties at their employing institutions.

(e) The board shall not require courses to be preapproved. The board may preapprove course providers. The board shall have final authority regarding approval of courses, credit, PDH value for courses and other methods of earning credit. Credit determination for activities listed in subsection (d)(1)(v) and (vi) shall be the responsibility of the licensee. The board shall accept credits earned in other jurisdictions if the activity otherwise complies with this section.

(f) The licensee shall be responsible for maintaining records to be used to support credits claimed. Required records shall include all of the following:

(1) A log showing the type of activity claimed, sponsoring organization, location, duration, instructor's or speaker's name and PDH credits earned.

(2) Attendance verification records in the form of completion certificates or other documents supporting evidence of attendance.

(g) (1) A licensee may be exempt from the requirements of this section for any of the following reasons:

(i) A licensee serving on temporary active duty in the armed forces of the United States for a period of time exceeding one hundred twenty consecutive days in a year shall be exempt from obtaining the professional development hours required during that year.

(ii) A licensee experiencing physical disability, illness or other extenuating circumstances as reviewed and approved by the board may be exempt. Supporting documentation must be furnished to the board.

(2) An individual applying for initial licensure and registration shall be exempt from the requirement set forth in subsection (a) for the licensure period immediately following initial licensure and registration.

(h) As part of the process to reactivate a licensee, a licensee must obtain all delinquent PDH units, except that under no circumstances shall a licensee be required to obtain more than the biennial renewal requirement.