[SBE] ASI through IP for STL

Dan Slentz dan_slentz at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 11 09:42:14 EDT 2010

I would consider that wireless IP (like Cisco or Trango's Link 45 or LinkGiga
being 45 mbps and 325 mpbs full duplex) with their 30 to 40 mile range could
work.   I also think you may be able to take the ASI and convert it to a
more "IP friendly" format and convert it back to ASI on the receiving end.
Since you are only talking about 19.3 mbps, the Link45 gives you ample headroom
for loss.  Certainly there's latency in the conversion, but I think it might be
necessary in beefing up the format for delivery.
When talking with Harris about delivering an ASI stream over IP (landline/wired)
to remote translators, they do have gear that can transcode.  The nice part
about the Link45 is your are talking about non-broadcast gear that is fractional
in cost to traditional.  Plus when you have to contend with lost packets and the
nuances of IP, the ASI format may get a little "glitchy" without the
transcoding.  (Just my opinion)
When I did the news ENG (remote broadcast) system using Slingbox (and later,
Slingbox HD) over a Trango, I found it to be very reliable.  In that case, the
latency had to be manageable to get a live shot smoothly in a newscast (SD was
about 2.5 seconds, so manageable, while HD could only really be used for pretty
weather shots since latency was 25 seconds).
Hope this might give you some thoughts to build on.  Good luck.

Dan Slentz
(formerly VP of Technology at KERA Dallas, Dir of Eng of WSFL Miami, and Chief
Eng of WHIZ Zanesville.. and currently in the job market looking for engineering
work)