[SBE] Forest Service woes

k7cr k7cr at blarg.net
Sun Oct 24 15:01:08 EDT 2010

Michael -

There was a time that the Land Mobile community had nothing good to say about Broadcasters for a number of reasons -

> Increasing the noise floor

> IMD and out-of-band emmissions that met FCC rules (for the Broadcaster) but rendered a sensitive on-site receiver useless.

> Horrible stories about low U operations at Peach Tree and Sandia Crest.

> Lighting up every non-linear device on the site (fences etc)

> War stories of locations where land-moble was chased away by non-caring broadcasters or those that refused to address the issues caused by their installations.

Many site owners/operators were quite successful in many areas of putting into effect rules that precluded broadcast use of some sites. For them, it was a simple and non-technical way to address the problem. I fought something similar when I developed West Tiger Mt in Seattle. This was one of the reasons that the first FM there had a 4 section BPF on its output. At turn-on we ran a number of desense tests and found that they could NOT tell the FM station was there. This was a huge victory for it overcame years of mis-understanding. Today there are 14 FM stations and 5 TV's on the Mountain and there have been no land-mobile objection that have not been addressed..

Broadcasters have become tainted in many areas. It will likely take a lot of patience, hand-holding, promises, contracts, lawyers etc to overcome this...(Not to mention the money). The fear that any property owner/manager has is that you are going to cost them money. Broadcasters, if they expect to win these folks over, are going to have to be willing to put their money where their mouth is. The fact that these two services can AND DO work together in many locations works in your favor and is likely your best argument.

Good luck

Clay Freinwald