[SBE] Broadcast Fax

Mark Heller wgbw at lsol.net
Fri Jun 3 06:50:32 EDT 2011

FX = FM Experimental

From: "Dan Rapak" <DanRapak at verizon.net>
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2011 12:39 AM
To: "SBE Broadcast Group" <sbe at sbe.org>
Subject: [SBE] Broadcast Fax

Okay gang. Here's an oddball question. As you know, the FCC has had a
practice of assigning a suffix to co-owned broadcast stations. WABC,
WABC-FM, WABC-TV where the suffix is actually part of the official call
sign. Well, I was reading an article in Monitoring Times magazine about
early efforts to transmit facsimile over broadcast radio stations. I was
aware of this previously in that I grew up in the Philadelphia market and
one of the stations engaged in this was WFIL-FM. While some stations
experimenting with FAX transmissions used the main program channel, WFIL-FM
actually used an SCA subcarrier. In doing a little additional reading, I
discovered that the fax operation at WFIL was repeatedly referred to as
WFIL-FX. Here's a link to the July 10, 1942 issue of "Billboard" that
briefly describes the operation and refers to it as WFIL-FX.
http://books.google.com/books?id=ywwEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA8&lpg=PA8&dq=wfil+broadca
st+fax+receivers&source=bl&ots=6eODmi1AsI&sig=2OUI1lJGOmyxDmXCrQafjg_qe5U&hl
=en&ei=hXvlTa__OdGtgQf--qG1Bg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CF
oQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=wfil%20broadcast%20fax%20receivers&f=false Here is
a second link that also refers to "WFIL-FX."
http://www.phillyradioarchives.com/philadelphia_radio_history_wioq.asp
Finally, in case you're curious, here's a link to a photo of the FAX
transmission facility at WFIL. http://www.ggninfo.com/WFIL-FAX.JPG My
question is, was "-FX" an officially assigned FCC suffix or was this simply
a moniker used for marketing purposes? Just curious, Dan Rapak - CPBE