[SBE] Hams in Broadcasting Net tonight......

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Sun Jul 17 14:23:30 EDT 2011

I visited the WJJZ site back in 1968 looking for a job...what a weird site!
I buddy of mine and I were dressed in dress jackets and ties, and were met
at the dock in Burlington by a one-armed man with little outboard boat, who
took us to the island and dumped us on the beach a good distance from the
towers. The op on duty had a shotgun since there were bears on the island,
and he showed us the tower doghouse that had a frozen lock he tried to
unfreeze by putting kerosene on it and wound up burning it down!

This site was just a few miles down the Delaware from where George
Washington crossed to beat the British. The river froze on winter nights
and was sometimes not navigable from the island. It was a daytime station
which meant travelling in the dark in a small cabin cruiser with the name
IIRC of "Queen Mary".

As I remember, WJJZ had a 5-tower array protecting WBCB in Levittown among
others...did they change it?

Ron Castro
Chief Technical Officer
Results Radio, LLC
N6IE
www.N6IE.com

But in the other episode I had to *swim* to the (former) WJJZ, Mount
Holly transmitter 4 tower DA to get it back on the air. Most
transmitters are remotely located on a mountaintop, how many are on an
isolated islands with no bridge?