[SBE] tape eraser/cleaners

David Baker DBaker at addison-il.org
Wed Aug 24 15:20:22 EDT 2011

Hi all,

The following system from RTI came highly recommended for bulk erasing and cleaning of betacam tape: http://www.rtico.com/tapechek/
We reuse tape stock to save on the high cost of replacement, and the cleaner feature would help us with temporary dropout problems that plague us on a regular basis, even with regular VTR cleaning.
The problem is the $20,000 price tag, with the refurbished unit costing around $10,000, which is tough on our current budget.
After talking with RTI sales and doing an internet search, there doesn't seem to be anyone who has a solution quite like this.
Does anyone know of a more cost effective solution for degaussing and rejuvenating Beta and Beta SP tape?

Thank you,

David Baker, CBTE, CBNT
Media Production Coordinator
Community Relations Dept.